Fall training by our vendor representatives begins the week of October 13th. These trainings are strongly recommended for ALL 1L and AmLaw LLM students to pick up where your Library Research classes left off.
Our vendor reps will introduce some of the “bells and whistles” unique to their individual platforms and will assist you in developing that most essential of your lawyering skills: research proficiency.
The reps publicize their training dates on their respective sties and all upcoming training can be found and registered for at the following links:
(Remember, many employers expect that you will have completed the vendors’ research certification trainings BEFORE day one on the job.)
UPDATE: Bloomberg Law Training will be held on these two dates:
Oct 16 1-145 pm – Room 414
Oct 28 1-145 pm – Room 414
You may email our Bloomberg Rep., Eric Malinowski, at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Joe, a law student a Berkeley (who happens to be a programmer), decided there were things he wanted Westlaw to do better. So he designed a Chrome extension he calls Bestlaw. It allows you to do some of the things Westlaw already does – like copy with citation and highlight terms, much more easily. And it allows you to do other things that Westlaw does not do, like toggle to a readable version of the text and unhighlight search terms.
Access for all academic users to Westlaw Classic will end June 30th in anticipation of its eventual complete shuttering sometime in the not-too-distant future. Westlaw Next access will continue just as you know it today. No action is required for BUSL users, however, we did not want anyone to get caught unawares!
As a continuing student your access to the Law Library’s materials will continue as it does today. Summer access to WestlawNext—-note that Westlaw Classic access for academic accounts ends June 30th— is available subject to the restrictions highlighted HERE. Summer access to both Lexis Advance and Bloomberg Law will continue as you use it today.
Graduating students take note:
- Lexis Advance offers ongoing unlimited access to until August 31st. You may additionally extend your access through their Graduate ID program by signing up HERE. This program will allow you unlimited use through December 31, 2014.
- Westlaw Next will allow graduating students 60 hours of use per month beginning in June through November 2014 IF you sign-up for their password extension program HERE. If you do not extend your password, your access will end May31, 2014.
- Bloomberg Law allows for ongoing unlimited access through December 31, 2014 for graduates. No action is required on your part.
For full details, visit the Library’s access for graduates page or contact a Reference Librarian.
With the Spring semester well and truly in full -swing, it is time to get your research skills in top gear and get certified. (Employers want to know that you have these skills from day one.)
In addition to the Library’s Research Skills for Practice Certification program already underway—click here for full details and to enroll— our three full-service subscription vendors, Bloomberg BNA, Lexis Nexis and Westlaw all provide certification on their platforms and additional training for all skill levels.
Don’t delay! Get started now.
Visit your BUSL lawschool pages at:
Lexis Nexis: http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool
Look for the training links to register.
Guess what? Summer is literally just weeks away!
Shortly your final exams and papers will be a distant memory as you begin your summer jobs and clerkships. Starting in May, however, several of our subscription-based legal research resources restrict student access over the summer, to help avoid the use of nonprofit educational passwords at paid summer employment. However, each service treats summer access a bit differently, and there may be further variations for continuing vs. graduating students. Here’s your guide to summer database access:
- Bloomberg Law accounts are valid between school terms and for 6 months after you graduate. Your BUSL Bloomberg account may be used for both academic and employment-related purposes, including full access to federal court filings . If you do not already have a Bloomberg Law account, you may Request A Law School Account with your BU email address.
- LexisNexis this year will provide unlimited access this summer to Lexis Advance, its next-generation research interface.In June, Lexis will be moving entirely to Lexis Advance. That means that all current law school home page (Lexis.com) ID’s will no longer work. If you currently have a working Lexis Advance ID and password (http://advance.lexis.com) then you are all set and need to nothing. If you use your old Lexis.com ID only, you need to ensure that you are registered with your Advance ID. Please contact, Michael.email@example.com, to obtain that ID. You will be able to access Lexis.com, and the law school home page with your Advance ID only. The Lexis.com interface will be available for academic (non-commercial) use only until July. 2013 graduates will have full access to Lexis Advance through July 31; continuing students will have unlimited access until August 31.
- Westlaw offers extensions of your Law School password for academic work, including: summer classes, journal work, projects for faculty, moot court, unpaid/non-profit public interest internships or externships, or a pro bono project that is required for graduation. Commercial use of your Law School password (such as at a law firm summer job) is strictly prohibited. May graduates can also extend their Westlaw passwords to obtain 10 free hours of research time for bar exam study. If you qualify for a summer extension of your Westlaw password, log in to the extension page and follow the instructions.
- Other Law Library Databases: Access to Boston University databases for continuing students is available over the summer with your BU username and password. Recent graduates will find that their off-campus, password-based access to other subscription databases (such as HeinOnline and LegalTrac) expires very quickly after graduation. Alumni may access many University and Law School subscription databases on-site via the reading room computer terminals.
- Click HERE for more information.
For more information about access to library resources for the graduating class of 2013, bookmark our guide to Law Alumni Services.
Summer hours for the Pappas Law Library following graduation begin May 20th and will be from 9-5 Monday through Friday.
Wishing you a restful and productive Summer!
The event mentioned in my last post has been cancelled. If you have questions about how firms are using Westlaw, please reach out to Mark Jackson through the Westlaw home page.
Our Westlaw Rep, Mark Jackson, is having a lunch and learn this Thursday, April 18th at 1PM in Room 520. Come hear from a firm rep about the use of Westlaw by legal employers.
(medical or medicinal) /s marijuana /s states
What will this search turn up? Why would you want to use this search string instead of simply typing in your terms? Learn the answers to these questions and more at the Power Searching Certification Class. This class will be offered Tuesday (4/2), Thursday (4/4), and Friday (4/5) from 1-2 PM in Room 334. Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.