Apr 26 2012
Please remember that there are important access restrictions associated with the use of our subscription-based electronic databases. As Summer approaches I thought a timely reminder might be helpful.
Bloomberg Law subscription remains active throughout the Summer and can be used to research federal and state cases, statutes, rules and regulations. Bloomberg Law also includes foreign and international law databases, U.S. congressional information, federal and selected state court dockets, news and corporate information. Bloomberg encourages law students to use their academic access to Bloomberg Law as much as possible, even when working for law firms. (For those of you graduating, BL is available for 6 months following graduation.) Sign up here if you have not yet done so.
Lexis Summer use begins on June 1st and is restricted to Lexis Advance. (This is a change from previous years’ policy.) If you have not yet registered for your Advance ID and PW, check your email(s) for notice from Lexis, and if you don’t see it – contact firstname.lastname@example.org, to obtain your Advance temporary ID and PW.( Graduating students have access through August 31st on Advance.) Access restrictions include these points:
- Summer course preparation and assignments
- Research associated with Moot Court, Law Review, or Law Journal
- Research associated with pursuing a grant or scholarship
- Service as a paid or unpaid research assistant to a professor
- An internship, externship or clinic position for school credit or graduation requirement
- Study for the bar exam
- Research skill improvement for educational purposes
Westlaw Summer access begins on June 1st and ends on August 1st.
You are eligible to register for a Summer extension if you are:
· enrolled in summer classes,
· working for a law review/journal or moot court,
· working for a faculty member as a research assistant, or
· working in an unpaid public interest internship/externship (excluding court and government settings). Unpaid means ANY form of compensation (including stipends, fellowships, or expense reimbursements) invalidates the qualification.
The link for requesting extensions is here.
If you do not qualify to request an extension as explained above, your access will be limited to 40 hours of access in each of the months of June and July.
Graduating Students may apply to extend their passwords beyond May 31st for 5 hours of access per month in June and July.
No responses yet